Tuesday 17 January 2017

Finding a new routine; but old ones keep getting in the way

Seems strange to be disciplining myself to doing something on a regular basis after being controlled by the bell and buzzer for the majority of my working life. Making a commitment to writing something like this is one I don't take lightly and have already put it into the diary on my phone for a Sunday afternoon activity. That aspect of working hasn't left and even though I have been working for myself these past ten years, the old habits kick in and run the process once more.
What about the comment; "you can take the teacher out of the classroom but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher." So very true.
A few months ago I was staying in an hotel and heard the sound of a bleeping bell, which sounded remarkably like the bell we had at change of lesson. Before I knew it I was up, dressed, cleaning my teeth and wondering what it was I should be teaching first lesson. Automatic responses had kicked in and I was pumped ready for the classroom.
Panic then set in as I realised I couldn't think what it was I was teaching, any more than I could remember who I was teaching! As the panic rose, I tried as hard as I could to reason with myself, I wasn't going completely mad. What school was I at and where did I have to drive? Was I supplying somewhere? What was the address.......
Slowly, as the panic rose to pains in the chest, a glimmer of a thought came into my mind, am I still teaching? I looked around and the hotel came into vision. I looked at my phone, I checked the diary, it said I was in Glastonbury for three days break and today was a visit to Wells Cathedral.
As the scales of panic left my eyes I realised what had happened and laughed. It was 6:30am and the couple next to me were moving around getting ready to move on. I was dressed so there was little or no point in going back to bed, so put the kettle on and settled down with some early morning news and a cuppa.
Wells Cathedral was wonderful but my chest hurt for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment