Saturday 25 January 2020

An unexpected bonus

It was one of those grey, miserable days when the weather did little to inspire me and the temperature remained low on the scale.
I was going into London for the Chinese new year celebrations, but with the possibility of the new Corona virus being present I decided another destination was called for.
So, choice was Ashford, Canterbury or Maidstone. All had a Wagamama so all held my attention. 
Maidstone was a free bus ride away whilst the other two required trains and possibly rail replacement buses.
No brainer, I went the free route and had a fabulous time; I hadn't realised the January sales were at their peak, oh what a bonus.
I was in Mountain Horse getting two for the price of one knitted, thermal hats, when I heard the sound of drums and cymbals.......a Chinese dragon must be near by......
These two, operated by young men with immense stamina, frolicked and danced in the town square, nibbling and sniffing adults and children, cocking their legs up trees, fluttering their eyelashes at little children, making them laugh and grabbing young women by their hands and taking them into the dance.
The laughter was infectious and children chased after them, laughing and shrieking with delight when they came close.
I had missed out on the stylised dancing in Trafalgar  square and I didn't see the large dragons fighting in and around the fountains, but the proximity and the genuine fun of these dragons far outweighed all of that.
This was a true dragon dance for the community. Not a spectacular,  just honest fun from one of the dojos in town. 
How could I possibly top that? 
Well, lunch at Wagamama, what else?

No comments:

Post a Comment