Tuesday 4 June 2019

Being listened to; not a fraud

With age and a very physically active life, comes the pains and broken bits of all that's built up over the years. For me, gardening, DIY, horse riding, motor bikes, swimming, gym and all the rest has worked my spine to a partial standstill. Overwork and accidents have damaged areas, strained others and caused deterioration in the rest.
So, when I attended the doctors for support, advice and suggestions, the answer has been one of pain killers, phrases such as, "well, it comes with getting older" and, "is there anything else I can help you with?"
Not quite the supportive NHS I would hope for. Instead of being listened to I felt rushed (only got 10 minutes at most), a statistic and just a number in a long line which needed processing so as to tick the performance targets of the day.
I gave up!
Harassed, in pain and cajoled by friends, I gave in and booked a private doctor's appointment.
The best thing I ever did! I see her, I have 30 minutes, she gives me her un-divided attention, she listens, asks questions and examines me. A first! Amazing!
She agrees I have a degree of scoliosis forming; she can feel there are other issues developing; she gets me a neurosurgeon's appointment for two days later!
Wow!
In thirty minutes, I have an idea of what the problem is, I have a referral to the neurosurgeon and I have an appointment. That is more progress in those precious thirty minutes than I've had in 35 years!!
Long live private doctors! Once I've seen the consultant I can then work out, do I take this as fait accompli to my NHS doctor and go on a waiting list, or do I bite the bullet and pay?
Watch this space.......

No comments:

Post a Comment