Thursday 29 April 2021

Closer to home

Bored I decided the snooker match I'd been following had reached its conclusion so I needed fresh air. A pulled calf muscle required a gentle stroll so, flask of coffee in hand I drove to a local village and pulled over in a lay-by on its outskirts.
Nothing fancy but a good stop off point where the car would be out the way and parking wouldn't be challenged.
I've driven through Hadlow for years rarely looking to left nor right save to make sure it's safe to proceed. 
Today I decided, if the calf muscle wanted a stretch then I'd wander into the village and back and be thoroughly nosy whilst doing it......I'd forgotten just how busy the road is!
The village itself is old, and is recorded in the Doomsday book as Haslow. 
In 795 ad the village was Saxon and where the much larger and quite ornate parish church (with a peel of 6 bells( is now standing, was a small, unasumming wooden church. It was an important centre, probably situated on the road linking north Kent to its southerly coast. Tonbridge,  which is not far away was a navigable river and many of the commodities where moved in barges up to there for distribution. It is possible this village was the first stop north.
According to Kent records;
"In 1786, Walter May inherited the manor house, Hadlow Court Lodge, which he demolished and built Hadlow Castle, in an ornate, Gothic style. Upon inheriting the castle his son, also Walter, built 170 feet high folly, which lightning damaged in 1987.."
Since then it's been restored using public donations, opening for a week each year to raise funds for its upkeep and be a local tourist attraction.
Sadly,  it is has now fallen into private hands and is closed to everyone. At one time it was hoped to open it on an extremely expensive 'holiday let' but I'm not convinced there would be many takers....far too expensive.
 From what I remember of my history, there was somewhat of a tit for tat going on between land owners; who had the highest tower. This spat had raged between parishes too and church spires punched ever higher toward heaven.
Anyway, this folly was built with one room per floor and a very narrow spiral staircase going to the top. The gardens around it are small, but magnificent. I was lucky to get in on one of the very last open days before its sale and went to the top floor. Magnificent views.
Many of the buildings around the church and folly are half timbered. There are numerous stable blocks and coach houses, which, although renovated into homes, are still visible. 
One thing I didn't realise was the spring or stream running along the side of the road. I followed it; never deep but probably a torrent during that very wet spell we had. Thinking about it, if this was a small hamlet and a coach stop then fresh water would be a great boon so a stream running through would make this location perfect.
It must remain quite wet all year round as the typical stream bank plants grew in abundance.
Sad to think within 20 feet of this verdant carpet was a busy main road pumping its exhaust fumes everywhere.
So, now I'm back at the lay-by enjoying my coffee. The traffic is relentless but the view over the fields is lovely.
Ooh, was that a woodcock I just heard over the roar of the HGV just rolling through?

No comments:

Post a Comment