Monday 29 January 2024

Back I go again..

My first foray was fascinating and I wanted another bite of this cherry.
I'd read about a work called Thamesmead Codex and having lived there for many years in the past, I wanted to go and have a look.
I wasn't disappointed. 
I presume the deer have happened recently; I remember English Cobs roaming the marshland, getting in buildings and rubbing on cars.
This is so reminiscent of stage 1.
Another image made me smile too. It brought back so many memories.

Yes, the lake, the swans, the parade of shops, doctors surgery and the row of tower blocks along Yarnton Way.
Yes, I was happy there and had a great life.
I then moved to another set of galleries where I was made to think, ponder and relate my thoughts to what I saw, how I interpreted it - a series of forms.
A pile of sand, a box made of cement and filled with smaller concrete pieces, a tall rectangular piece of wood with scoops of wood removed and a woven basket made of willow.
One man walking past interpreted it as a waste of time. 
Another reckoned he could leave his hat and gloves there and it been seen as art......
Yes, I will admit, I used to think that way too.
Now I interpret. I think. I use my life experiences and the artist's commentary to create my unique thoughts.
My interpretation?
The sand unless contained will always flow as it wishes, using its own free will to form whatever it chooses to be.
The concrete is Mans' way of exerting control over the environment around it. By creating concrete boxes we control the environment we live in, work in and entertain ourselves in.
The wood reflected its own natural beauty which we use to enhance our concrete boxes. But it doesn't matter how we shape it, form it, cut it, it remains as it was, wood.
The willow basket was taking something natural which could be controlled, tamed, altered to be as we wished, which, in this case was a basket. But we could force it to be anything we wished, it is pliable and compliant with our desires.
If these represent human conditions then the parallels leap out at me.
I wandered into other spaces and watched numerous thought provoking shorts. So much I'm once more on sensory overload 
Now I'm back home and ready to explore my art again.
Differently this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment