Friday 12 July 2019

From nothing to something

Once upon a time I was offered an art scholarship. I chose the sciences instead and revelled in the statistical side of population dynamics on the seashore.
An exciting time.
They had recently discovered the importance of ozone in the upper atmosphere and had made the connection between CFCs and its subsequent damage.
Inroads were being made into the 'new' breed of insecticides which attacked the nervous system of the insect and the now outlawed DDT had just received its cancer warnings and was being withdrawn.
The Apollo missions were under way and plans to build a shuttle were being muted.
It was a 'brave new world' and we thought we could rule it.
We thought we could do anything. Little did we realise how playing God was going to disrupt the planetary harmony so successfully for everything except us.
I played in that time.
I enjoyed the rising up of the digital age and watched computers, not only reducing from room sized goliathons and enter the house as desk tops, then as years passed, become the smart phone I am happily tapping on now.
I was so very proud of my first microwave, and the power of a quick visit to the supermarket, pick up a package and there was a dinner. All I had to do was heat it up.
Cars! Trucks! Hot rods! Classics! Playing, tinkering, improving the performance and then trying it out on our streets! Being chased and getting away.
And of course, AI.
It was indeed the first steps to this present age, the Age of Technology,  The Digital Age.
We had indeed, moved from nothing to something controlling pretty much everything.
So, I left that fast paced world and returned to art.
I returned to a nature which was chemical free and hummed to the sound of what insects still flew.
I returned to simple cooking from fresh ingredients I was lucky enough to get from local farmers who eeked out a living on the now, impoverished soils.
I returned back to nothing? No, I still enjoy my smart TV and smart phones, I use the microwave, but to reheat food I've cooked, and I thank heavens for the extremely low emission car.
Have I returned to nothing? No, I believe I have found that brave new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment