Wednesday 10 July 2019

If only.......


I say those two words, not with regret, but with a sense of wondering, if the accident hadn't happened when I was 30 years old, where would I be now and what would I be doing?
We can all say this about something in our lives but sometimes it's just nice to have a think and daydream....
So, let's think back, who was I before the accident and what was I doing?
I had just got married, bought my first property, was working locally and enjoyed driving a custom mini with excess grunt and two motorbikes which my other half used for work. We had a classic car and used to attend classic car rallies.
We contemplated biking around Europe, attended heavy rock festivals and had started riding horses....well, I had and was thoroughly enjoying it.
I attended a gym twice a week and swam locally, I gardened, walked and had a wicked social life.
All in all, life was sweet and the garden was rosy. I had been very active since young so enjoyed maintaining a high octane pace.
Then......
I hit a tree. Hard. With my back. It broke in two places.
I can't say my life stopped, but it was held in check by chronic pain levels which have become worse as the years have gone by. NHS wasn't much help throughout the 30 years I kept asking for help, so the private route gave me the answers, but not until I was in my late 60s.
Anyway, less of that what would I have done? No accident, clean sheet?
Mm, what would that list include.....
Long distance riding would definitely have featured, travelling across Ireland and eventually Europe.
Just me and my horse with my stuff ferried to the next stop where we could both sleep then off again the next day.
Bliss.
An off-road monster of a four wheel drive to play in the mud, ditches and dykes. Tee hee. Coming home exhausted, with broken suspension or a blown tyre, knowing I'd done it my way!
Driving and walking across various poorly inhabited places around the world.
Taking on derelict houses and doing them up to sell on........
But most importantly I would have been a better teacher. I wouldn't have been in pain all the time. I could have remained totally focused on them rather than taking endless amounts of pain killers and fizzing the day.
I could have been the very best of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment