Thursday 4 July 2019

The Monica - justjo debate

Well, it's been a few interesting days of exploring Monica and I really like her, which is fortunate considering she is me without the guilt trip and hang ups!
I had a realisation too which I chatted over with a really close mate of mine; I am known by most people as "justjo" and as they say, "what you see is what you get."
Interesting in itself because what you see isn't really Me, it's a cameo.
I'll give an example.
Whilst at an establishment in London, I was chatting with one of the receptionists. It came up in conversation that I'd not had the best service from the NHS and when I had been told to go home and have a baby by a consultant who should have been less sexist, I lost it, reached over and grabbed him by the collar. I was tempted to hit him, but I growled my abject horror at his sexism and informed him I was not frustrated I was in pain!
He was most surprised and I was most stuffed because, one, I was now labelled a dangerous patient and two, if I could do that then in his mind there was no problem with my neck. At least that was his excuse in closing my file.
The receptionist heard this, and looked at me,
"I would never imagine you could be capable of such a thing," she said and I grinned, if only she knew the half of it!
This is something we all do when we meet people, judge them and pigeon hole them. Worse still, its done without thinking.
Our outer shell, our facade, fails to portray us in all our facets and yet we expect people to know us in them. Ironic isn't it?
We see a potential partner, we doll ourselves up, we behave in the way we presume they would expect. We play the charade until we live with them and the pretenses fall; they see each, other warts and all.
Is it any wonder relationships have a tough time?
So Monica is Me but still only a pastiche because what can convey all aspects of Me? What can convey all of You?
Who is it You expose to the world and is it the just(insert name here) or the flamboyant Monica? The retiring just(insert name here) or the outspoken, guilt free person we all really are?
More thinking needed 🤔

No comments:

Post a Comment