Tuesday 16 June 2020

Evocking memories

For three months we have been plagued by a world wide virus which has killed many and left others with their health compromised.
Younger and more agile people such as children and those under the age of 30 have faired the best and this I would expect. Regardless of our age, ethnicity or gender however, we are all held within strict guidelines and one of those is our inability to travel.
Some countries are 'popping' out of these strict guidelines whilst the rest of the world watch with baited breath.
Some countries are heading towards secondary infection spikes and are having to carry out localised lock-downs whilst other countries watch with apprehension.
Other countries are easing the restrictions to travel within a region, a state or the country as a whole, but as yet, few, if any are able to venture past their own borders.
I am like many other people, awaiting the necessary codes to reclaim money spent on holidays which will not materialise.
So, is that it? We close the brochures and websites and give up on the idea of travelling?
No, not for me. Travelling has become an integral part of my life and the planning, recollections and memories of places already travelled are of great importance to me.
Walls in my house reflect this and are covered in print-out images of different places with maps of that town or city or village, so I can remember.
My refrigerator is slowly sinking under the weight of magnets depicting different days spent in different places, and as I get the milk out of the door, I remember....
I have decided to utilise this blog, to remember and commit memories to the future so I can look back and go,
"Oh yes, that was a great day wasn't it" and smile as images flood back; the sounds, the heat; those around and most importantly, how it made me feel.
I hope you too will enjoy these memories and perhaps make you inclined to visit the same places as I did, once we have the chance to go.

So, in the following posts I say,

Welcome to my fridge






No comments:

Post a Comment