Sunday 21 June 2020

Moose!


I love Scandinavia and am blown away by Iceland,  so this fridge magnet brings many a happy memory back into mind.
I think I was lucky, I went to Norway and Iceland twice in one glorious year of travel, and did so comfortably before the world shuddered to a halt with Covid-19.
One of the stops we made was to Eidfjord, a tiny village on the end of a branch of the huge and impressive Hardangerfjord, beyond Norway’s longest suspension bridge. Travelling beneath the bridge is breathtaking and the views of Eidfjord itself is almost out of a picture book with its backdrop of mountains and lush green pastures and the tinned houses painted in mainly chocolate box colours. 
Once here, you realise it's so small and there's little to do except going on scenic drives and boat trips. 
The most famous attraction is the drive up the scenic Måbødalen and the waterfall Vøringsfossen. Amazing and worth the trip.
The remainder of the day I spent walking around just enjoying being part of this quiet backwater. There are few streets, the ubiquitous church and a souvenir shop I just couldn't pass up. 
I do believe in spending something at every port of call so as to return something to the economy and as I had very little in terms of currency I looked for something small to remember such a pretty place.
My eyes then fell on this magnet - Moose and I burst out giggling.
Without a second thought I took it to the counter; the lady, whose English was impeccable, looked at me with intrigue and amusement. 
Why did I laugh?
Moose was a term of endearment aimed at me for many years. When I did something stupid, daft or down right funny I got the response of; thumbs on the side of the head, palms open, one facing up one facing down; the stupid moose image with a droopy antler.
She laughed too and as she said, I'll never forget my day in Eidfjord.
No, I dont think ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment