Tuesday 22 October 2019

Glastonbury ho....

Thursday 17th October

Let me think, oh yes, M25 😳, M3 🙄 and then A303 🥴 then those lanes 😬. 
I left at about 11am and came to the conclusion I'd just go for it. The weather was appalling and the M25 was more like the bottom of a fish tank, but the sign for M3 came up eventually and we'd only been brought to a halt once for an accident ahead. Not bad really for that road.
It was bad though and most cars stayed well clear of the inside lane; the lorry tracks were no longer depressions in the surface but elongated puddles creating conditions even worse than in the other lanes. At one point, the road surface returns to its original concrete construction and even though the surface was years old, the fact there were regular gaps between the concrete slabs acted as a conduit for the surface water and driving became less of a aqua-dance and more of just not being able to see through the torrents falling from the sky.
It was a relief to peel off and I prayed for better weather.
Apart from the occasional slow down for single file and road abouts, the rest of the journey was easy. I maintained a steady speed and got to Glastonbury by 2pm, which wasn't 'half bad'.
What it did mean was I still had the whole of Thursday afternoon to go for a bit of a walk and ease off after the drive.
My eyes hurt from the concentration levels, my legs had seized up from being stuck in one position for a few hours (I really was showing wear and tear of age I can tell you) and I knew if I was going to sort this out, I needed fresh air too.
So, I'm off to enjoy a cup of tea in my room and let the world go by for a while, then wander out and have lunch. 
Fortunately, having had foresight this morning, that's already waiting for me in the car so eat that, listen to the radio and catch up on parliament and all its chaos, then go for a well deserved wander. I have a bit of shopping to do......

Well, within a matter of minutes my appetite for customised vehicles was satisfied with this little beauty. I did wonder what was under the bonnet but it's a kit car and I have no inkling as to the running gear under neath. Shame, but I can imagine a nice V8 with extra turbo power.....it isn't but I can dream 🤩
Next stop then a cup of tea and a sit down but first, I was determined to see if there was a different way through from where I am to Morrisons without facing that main road.
I had a lovely wander around Boundary Road, all the way round to where I came in! Yes, it's a boundary and it fails to give a 'get off the estate free' card for pedestrians except back out onto the main road. Oh, well I looked.
So Morrisons it is then, one tea, some tea bags, lactose free cheese and some nuts. With a salad from Subway I have my evening meal.  Nice one.
I wandered into Glastonbury centre and looked in the windows. I've moved on since then. Nothing seemed to resonate any more, it is a place I was some twenty years ago with 'hippy' skirts and gypsey dresses, Indian beads strings and vegan coffee houses. I've changed and become even more the Londoner as the years have progressed. I could feel myself nestling deeper into the culture of the South-East and Asian centres in the east end of London. 
Note to Self; time I revisited White Chapel Market.
In some ways I felt even more detached from Glastonbury than I had ever done, and although it was good to see people still getting pleasure from this culture, I did feel as if I was walking into a time-bubble which had reached a zenith in the 70s and had failed to move on.
Walking back to the hotel I thought about a camper and how I could have the best of both worlds; the camper by day and the hotel bed at night. It'll come, it'll come, once I've had that visit to Danbury Motorhomes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment