Tuesday 22 October 2019

Meeting up with Paul and a Faery Ball

Saturday 19th October

So, today is the Faery Ball and this year is its an anniversary, so the theme is something to do with Lights. 
Mm, sorry folks but as pretty much everything I possess is far too big for me and I haven't got round to replacing it all with stuff which is smaller (sic, and I really do dislike shopping for clothes), its a case of what I've got is what you'll get.
Anyway, I'm jumping ahead as normal.
I opened my eyes at about 06:45 because fairy-feet next door had obviously got up and gone to the loo, I presume. 
So tea time and listen to the latest podcasts from Westminster and the Trump impeachment saga, then shower, dress and out for a walk up to get some breakfast.
Same as yesterday although I sidestepped the long circular route! 😏 I'd learnt my lesson and really didn't think I could cope with another round-robin tour, however interesting it had been.
It wasn't raining! every now and then the sun appeared between clouds which warned of impending doom at any moment, but that held off and the walk into town was pleasant.

On my way round to Morrisons I spied this Mini. I smiled and thought back to my old girl. Not red, but undercoat grey, she sported various hand painted bits and pieces as well as an aluminium plate on the drivers door sporting the important phrase;

THIS IS NOT DRINKING WATER

The car was well known in the area and strangely, never got stolen. It may have had something to do with the dragon's head on the bonnet, ZZ Top stripes down the sides and copies of their car and rocket on each rear door? Not sure, but it turned heads. Grinning, I carried on walking, my stomach was growling and I really needed food.
Breakfast came and went and so did I back into town to have a look in a few shops (book shops to be honest) whilst I waited for Paul to get here. I had little idea when he would arrive and sent it up into the ether for him to send me a text.
Within ten minutes one came through, he'd be there for about 2pm, so having exhausted the book shops and having had a really nice cup of coffee, I headed back to the hotel. I was bored with Glastonbury, it was getting chilly, I wanted a cardigan and to be honest and a sit down. I was still weary from yesterday.
We met at the hotel went back into town and went to the Faery Fayre in the town hall. It was good to have a look about and we were lucky enough to catch Brian Frome (of Dark Crystal fame) on his own and have a good old chat with him.
We looked at most things and were almost on our way out when Paul spotted two of his old mates from years ago.
Needless to say we got chatting and as they too were going to the ball later agreed to meet up. They had also decided to go as they were....made me feel happier.
 
The hall filled up with faeries and pixies and pirates and refugees from various times throughout history. I even noticed a Wilma and Fred Flinstone, so anything went I think.
Sadly, the man on sound really did have a problem, which I would say was akin to acute deafness!
It was like a blind painter doing your windows, somewhat pointless and very much over the top.
It started and I suspect the whole of the foundations of the buildings on that side of the High Street were given exercise. My ears hurt and my feet vibrated with over modulation. I looked at his curve for the sound....all pretty much at maximum.....its not that big a hall!
The first group to come on were really good, but you needed your fingers in your ears to hear them. No idea what they were called, I couldn't make out what the King and Queen were saying.
Sadly, the evening continued in this vein, with people coming on, over modulation making everything impossible and then the lights went on!!


At about 22:40, the house lights went up as a fireman strode through the centre towards the stage......the fog machine had set off the fire alarms and because it was just too loud, no one heard it.
Now, from a Health and Safety perspective, isn't that rather dangerous??
We filed outside. It was bloody cold but at least we could hear ourselves think. Many left at this point, valuing what hearing they had remaining, the diehards waited, slowly turning light shades of white, red and blue, and that wasn't the lights they were festooned with either.
We stood outside for a while and continued to have a chat with the couple we'd met early. They'd had enough and were off to find a pub. We heard the final band strike up again. The sound was better out here than anywhere else. If it had been warmer it was a good place to stand, but is was far too cold, we wandered back in, stood for a few minutes and surveyed the small handful who remained.

Neither Paul nor I were that interested in our ears being assailed any further and we both needed to sit down, so we left and sat in the foyer where we chatted for about half an hour. Time to go. We went back to the car and drove back to the hotel. It was time for tea and bed.
For me it was tea, bed, podcasts and attempting to unwhine my ears enough to get some sleep. It was a bad one, not falling to sleep until well gone 1am.
I was going to be very tired in the morning and had that journey home to face.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment