Sunday 22 September 2019

Kirkwall, part 2, town centre and the Co-op

8th September

Well, the coach pulled in at the ship and we jumped off some of us heading straight for the shuttle bus into town. The queue to get back on board was immense (lunch time called) so beetling off in the other direction was the best thing to do. The shops would be open too and as it was Sunday trading I had a few hours before they shut.
I had two things on my mind, a Sunday newspaper and a cup of coffee.

So, the Co-op, and a newspaper. Newspapers? Not in yet, the boat doesn't arrive before 1pm. Of course, silly me, they have to come over from the mainland and that isn't an early morning thing. I wandered up the High Street and saw a cafe I'd tried last time I was here but it wasn't open this time so I went into the one opposite on Albert Street called Cafeloz21. It is next-door-but-one to the co-op so I was on a roll.
The coffee was gorgeous and I resisted the cakes although it was hard. For £3.60 you got a ginormous slice off a cake which would have just melted in my mouth. I suggested they took off the dome, gave me a spoon and left me to it.....that chocolate fudge cake with walnuts, well too much.
I retreated to a stool at the window and watch the tourists walk by. Cheaper and better for my waist line and intolerances but the temptation, oh, the temptation.


 I realise this picture is at rather a jaunty angle but I did attempt to get it looking straight, honest. Anyway, this is the High Street as taken from my bar stool. As you can see some of the places are open but many are closed. If you decide to come here be aware its quite strict with its Sunday opening and things really do open at 10am, not like in the southern part of Britain where some shops open really early and stay open late.
I went back into the Co-op and grabbed what I wanted then headed back to the shuttle after a wander up and down the High Street and a couple of the back streets I'd found last time I was here.
I do love it here and want to work out a way of spending perhaps a week on the island. Hire a car and base myself in Kirkwall and travel the island itself.
I popped into the Information Centre and picked up a few (few? more like a bundle!) and then headed back to the shuttle. I could visit other islands in the group from what I could glean from the information I'd grabbed. Now this extends the possible stay and the ideas.....hire a camper?
We are due to leave at 15:30 and its already 14:45, blast, I've missed lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment