Sunday 22 September 2019

West Flanders and Zeebrugge

Buses arriving but we still have clearance to be granted
5 September
I woke really early this morning but the rocking of the ship seems to do that.
I had some breakfast and more importantly, tea and then strolled out on deck to watch the final stages of docking and the setting up of the gangway etc.
It's cold this morning so it's my coat and warmer clothes. Yes, I did pack correctly. The Cruise News did say this was an industrial port but I wasn't quite ready for its size. But then I suppose it equates to some of our main ports which deal in freight.
I leave for my tour at 10.15am so in the meantime I think it's time for coffee. Back up to Deck 11 then.
***** ***** *****
What a great day. I was on the tour which took me to Bruges medieval centre and a canal cruise through the city itself.
We were so lucky to have a short cruise along the canals included in our walking tour of the city. It was well worth it. Seeing some to the buildings we had observed as we had walked past them, were now coming into view from  very different perspective.

When the reflections turn the canal into a chocolate box image...

Being able to appreciate the construction of these amazing places on nothing but sand, mud, stones and animal skins makes me ponder at how much skill we have lost over the years.













 
The place itself was amazing and the buildings were of so many different centuries from 1600 to present day.
Every turning you took presented you with another leap into the past

The guide, Leife, was superb and her humour plus her wonderful knowledge of Bruges itself was fascinating.
We walked around most of the main sites of the city and my camera went berserk.
I'll sort it all when I get back home....some will be blurred and some out of focus, but that's half the fun of taking pics.
We left at 10:20 and returned at 14:30 so the rush up to the 11th deck was quite something. We just made it back before they closed lunch so I was delighted to be able to enjoy roast chicken with vegetables.
Now I'm outside on deck 10, which is at the stern and about to settle to my Google Guide hat. It's fun and I do it for no other reason. If it helps someone then great but I can look back and reminisce.

No comments:

Post a Comment