Thursday 26 September 2019

Second day at sea (number 4); weather worsening

14th September
 
I slept well but for the incessant rattle of one wardrobe door. That was going to be investigated! I was not going to put up with another night of such disturbance (who am I kidding, the whole room creaked and groaned as did the ship!). 
Waves had slapped against the hull and it sounded like a very deep gong was being activated at irregular intervals; tough to sleep through I can tell you, but I did my best.
The counter surface below the mirror had attempted to eject itself all over the floor but I had been near it at the time and managed to catch the kettle and a water container before they made their way onto the carpet. 
Behind the mirror is not only more storage, but the safe too. So as to get easy access to the safe, the mirror is held closed by two magnetic clips, both of which had passed their sell by date. The mirror rattled and clanked until the weakened magnets couldn't hold it any more and the mirror swung open. I was up, out of bed, catching things before I'd realised I'd opened my eyes! Cup of tea. Might as well. What time is it? 03:15? Bit early for breakfast.
Wedging two pillows against the now closed mirror, in a valiant hope it would stay closed, I went back to bed, turned over and managed to fall into some sort of sleep. Gave up at 05:12 and had another cup of tea.
The earliest I could breakfast, and yes, I was ravenous again, was 06:00 so I had a shower (bouncing from one side of the shower cubicle to the other like a weeble-wobble ball) a second cuppa (no water left, bugger) and then went up to see what the damage was.
How thoroughly thrilling! A small part of me wondered whether I had a death wish or something, or that, deep down there was a bit of an adrenalin junkie in me, because the worse the storm became, the brighter and happier I was. And it was very bad this morning. Even some of the waiters had failed to come topside!
FOOD!
A full English later, I kinda walked up to the semi closed deck 11. 
Now, I can but presume they didn't think many clients (or idiots in my case) would, one, be up, or two, want to get outside......I did. Far too excited to stay inside. My eyes shone and the smile was from one side of my face to the other.
Sadly, I haven't any pictures of this but imagine the ship rolling side to side so violently, the water in the swimming pool is bouncing over the edge in 2 foot waves. Thrilling. 
I took my shoes off (better purchase that way) and wandered carefully out onto deck. 
No-one noticed. Too early me thinks. 
Phone out, I started videoing the escaping waters and the excitement in me mounted. I walked on a bit further and was now central to the deck. I wasn't totally crazy, I still had a pillar close by to hold if I needed, but the great thing about horse riding is, it makes you learn how to balance, so I adopted the riding pose (feet straight ahead, knees slightly bent and allowing the movement to occur from the hips up, whilst keeping legs and feet firmly down onto the ground) and was fine.
I'm not sure when I was spotted but a man dressed in the officer's black and white came to the doors and started watching me like a hawk. Before I realised I had an audience safely tucked away inside. He had his walkie-talkie out and didn't look too happy.
Oops.
I looked towards him and with a stern expression on his face, beckoned me toward him and the safety of the inside. Before I realised my bottom lip came out and I looked at him just like a child not wanting too. Oops again, I really should grow up (really? Now? unlikely).
He beckoned again but with greater vigour, so with due care and attention I walked over toward him, watching the pools and enjoying my final paddle before I left.
He didn't exactly tell me off but he wanted too. I could sense the phrase, irresponsible idiot floating around in his head. The doors were locked and he looked at me. "Dangerous!" was all he managed to say without telling me what he really thought. I couldn't stop smiling. I'd been caught and I was in trouble and I had had a great time.
I went to deck 6 and had a coffee. Oops, once more.
The captain had warned of worsening weather and I can safely say, when the waves are as tall as deck 6 and bedecked with copious white foam, it has.


This picture was taken from
Smoker's Corner on deck 12, (that's the equivalent of 12 storeys up). The waves were huge and as we crashed up and down, they broke higher and higher up the sides of the ship flooding the outside decks on levels 6 and 7. The captain came over the tannoy and told us the storm was liable to increase to beyond hurricane force (a reading of force 11) and possibly beyond so we were changing course and were heading towards the Hebrides to take shelter from the worst of the weather and give us a greater chance at making progress. We were about four hours behind schedule and would miss the tide into Dublin so we would have to wait for the next one. We had to make progress so it would be another day of full throttle in the hope we would attain better speeds in more sheltered waters.

Visibility is very poor; driving rain, high winds, rough sea; we have begun our journey along the eastern side of the Shetlands. It's still very early and all outside decks are closed. It's at times like this I am quite happy to have booked an inside cabin. Not much to see really except tall waves, whistling winds, draughts and rain hitting the window.

Today, there is talk about looking for radiation particles beneath the ice, called Fiery Ghosts beneath the ice. That's at 10:00, so back to deck 6 and listen to some podcasts until then. Prof. Glenn Patrick has given 3 excellent lectures so far. Today I think maybe the final one, although we do have one more day at sea to get back from Ireland to Southampton.
Crikey, am talking about that already!!


Isle of Lewis 687 nautical miles at speed of 16 knots, berth at 10.30am. Storm force now, 65 knots equals hurricane force, now 45 knots. We are making progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment