Friday 27 September 2019

Cobh; part two, the second foray before departing

Refreshed and replenished, this time I turned right instead of left. I walked along the sea edge, past the car park for the station (I presume)d and all the camper-vans happily parked there?
 Maybe not a station car park then, it is a Monday after all and the sort of vehicles there were not what one would call commuter traffic. Even the bays looked designed for campers, but without the electric pick up points.
The new houses sat in a neat row along the quayside and small boats bobbed happily on the sloping bank of a natural section of harbour . 
I wondered how it would fair in the winter, but, looking around, there were so many islets and the surrounding coastal headlands, the strongest of the winds would have probably blown by.
I wandered back. 
Although we had until 18:00 before we had to be back on board, the light levels were already dropping and with it the temperature. It may not be windy but it certainly seemed to hold the chill.
 I wanted to get back to the station, just by the gangway, because one of the sheds there has been turned into a museum, gift shop, cafe and I wanted to at least get a look inside before it was time for me to get back on board.
I had another aspect to consider too, I was getting hungry, very hungry indeed.

 
 The shed is decorated using the White Star Line memorabilia and in their colours. Staff where in appropriate clothes of the time and statues stood around waiting for their chance to board. lifesize and very life-like, they really did give an idea what it must have been like when she sailed.
The clock keeps perfect time in the main entrance way, and the handcarts are laden with waiting luggage
 There is a large gift shop which I wandered around. It's filled with the usual trinkets one would associate with Ireland and the whiskey trade, glassware and jewellery. I moved on. It's quite expensive and I did wonder if it would have been cheaper in town.
The exhibition itself houses records of people, the story in detail and copies of old photographs from that era.
I didn't go in because I was running out of time, and it was 15 euros to enter. I wouldn't have been able to appreciate that 15 euros if I'd gone in with one eye on the clock, I didn't want to miss sailing, we were almost home after all.
The large cafe in the middle was very busy. They did everything from pots of tea with fresh cream scones to Irish stews and soups, breads and cheeses. It smelt wonderful and as my mouth had begun to water, I knew it was time to leave and get some food I knew I could eat. 


I sat on deck 12 with a cup of tea and watch as we departed, slipping away silently, to begin our last day at sea and then home. The departure was filled with sadness as well as smiles; we'd done the tour and now it was packing up and getting ready to catch the trains home.
My mind, momentarily flitted to National Rail and potential delays....hope not.
With a blink of my eyes, I returned to watching Cobh slip behind us as the sun continued to set and a three piece acoustic jazz set was being played on the deck below.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment