Thursday 26 September 2019

Day at sea number 3

13th September

Hurricane Dorian, which devastated so much of the Bahamas has made its way across the Atlantic and making for an interesting crossing.
We have to get from the northern side of Iceland, just miles away from the Arctic Circle, round the right hand side of Iceland itself and then make a dash for it across open waters to Ireland. The ship is at maximum throttle but is fighting the approaching waves and our journey times are being extended quite considerably.
 The captain has already warned us of very bad weather on the way; last night we experienced the first of the storm force winds and reduced visibility, but we have been warned there will be increasing winds to hurricane force (force 10) and very big seas.
So glad I don't have sea sickness, but by the number of "Do not disturb" signs already up on cabin doors, its going to be a quiet day up top.
I had breakfast, a somewhat lone affair, and then ventured up to deck 7 to see if I could get out and have a look.
Blocked off!
Tried deck 6, but the same thing there. Blowers were working on soaked carpets around the main doors out onto the deck and it was clear the night had been more rocky than I had noticed.
I finally found a way outside, the one area they could not close or they would have had a riot; Smokers Corner! Holding my nose I forced the door open. It took two of us to shift it and as we went through, the door snapped shut with such volition we wondered if we would manage to get it open again. I checked the men sitting there, yes there were a couple who looked strong enough.
OK, so this is only storm force; the waves crashed against us and we bobbed along like a cork. All I can say is, thank heavens for stabilisers!!
The wind howled and nothing, not even the ash in the closed ashtrays, stayed were they should be. Chairs wandered and tables were stacked tight against the edge, lashed down so as not to lose them overboard. People hunkered down in coats and gloves and scarves, puffing away with speed and necessity; meanwhile, I felt like a cat with the wind up my tail and wanted to play and frolic. Ooh, so exciting and it was only just getting started, tee hee.
I spent the morning wandering around, having coffee and listening to the podcasts I had downloaded ready for this two day Internet blackout and entertained myself, whilst watching the crew busily securing doors, issuing sick bags (no thank you, I don't need them) and generally keeping the ship in its pristine condition. 
The trouble with rough seas is, it makes me hungry....ravenous in fact.
By 12:30 I was up on deck 11 (most of this deck had already been blocked off) to get freshly cooked chips and a burger without the bun. I stood behind a glass panel and watched the wind and rain lash the semi-closed deck and a crew member valiantly attempting to stretch the safety netting over the two swimming pools whilst its contents spewed over his wellies.
I grinned to myself, no-one will be in the Jacuzzi today.
Oh, those chips were good, and the burger, well, let me put it this way, they are obviously made on the ship because it was all beef mince with a little egg and onion powder, simply beautiful.
I had to laugh as I was leaning against the glass screen. Some people walked out to see what the weather was like (er, couldn't they see?) and caught sight of the plate of chips....one man almost vomited on the spot. So glad he didn't, it would have been both messy and smelly and I was quite comfortable where I was. 
I thanked the chef at the Snack Shack and, as I couldn't cut across the deck, went back in and headed towards Smokers Corner, for a cup of tea and a seat in the ( dubious) fresh air.
I picked up the Cruise News....what entertainment is there to catch my fancy I wonder?
We'd already enjoyed an hour from Glenn Patrick on Cosmic particles and the Icelandic ice show, so I perused;
  • film; Aloha
  • Great British Cake off
  • Multimedia quiz
  • coffee and crafts
  • meet the cast
  • another film, Beside Bowie:The Mick Ronson Story
I underlined that one and headed for the Broadway Show Lounge.
All of a sudden, the pitching and yawing calmed down and although the doors to the decks didn't open, it became a better experience during the evening. The captain came back on to tell us we were now sheltering along the east coast of Iceland but later tonight (oh great, another roll-a-coaster night's sleep) we would have to make the dash across the open Atlantic waters towards the Irish coast.
Some people ventured out of their cabins and drank themselves to a state of semi unconsciousness. I did laugh, the stomach would void that lot quite quickly and their heads would be as bad as their bellies.
I took advantage of an early, stable night and was asleep by about 9pm, rough seas do that to me too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment