Sunday 22 September 2019

day at sea number 2

9th September

The journey from The Orkney Islands to Reykjavik takes more than a few hours, so we have day at sea number 2.
As before there is loads to do to keep us entertained, but for me its the films and the talks. My itinerary then is as follows;
  • 13:00 to 14:45 in Broadway Show Lounge; Bohemian Rhapsody
  • 15:00 to 16:00 in Broadway Show Lounge; Glenn Patrick - Looking through the Greenhouse
  • 19:15 to 20:00 in The Lounge; lounge sounds with The Rhythm
  • 20:30 to 21:15 in Broadway Show Lounge; Jack Ollett, singer of operetta and show tunes
Then bed I think, but that's what I call a really nice day. In between that there will be podcasts I've downloaded from Google Podcasts and of course the newspaper I fought so hard to get. Walking around the ship is being restricted because the winds are getting up and it is hard to keep your footing port-side s I am confined to smokers corner if I want fresh air.
The winds have been increasing all day and we are expected to have a choppy passage across to Iceland but the captain said the swell was only 3 metres. In English money that's a 12 foot swell and the ship will yaw and pitch in that especially with the waves hitting us at the angle they are. There was a film out on deck this evening starting at 21:30 but its too cold and windy for me.
The talk this time is about the rising global temperature and how that is affecting the lay of land masses especially when we consider Iceland and the mid-Atlantic trench which is still forming it. He was really interesting and talked about energy consumption around the globe, fossil fuels and the striving to find the answer in particle physics.
He worked at the Hadron Collider site and is one considered one of the most knowledgeable in his field. It was a breath of fresh air to get a speaker of this calibre on a cruise ship. I look forward to the other lectures he is due to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment