Friday 25 November 2022

Tenerefe

The first time I came to the island, we landed at the north airport, one wheel at a time slewing to a rest some 45° to that which would be expected.
I was about 14 years old and my mother and I were due to go to a grand old converted colonial mansion up in the mountains. I remember staring down at the port and watched the QE2 come into port on her maiden voyage.
The port was small and still housed some fishing boats one end.
Today its one of the largest ports in Europe with a large container dock at one end and a massive cement manufacturer the other. 
Land has been reclaimed and the old harbour walls are now some distance in from the water's edge.
There is a massive oil terminal which has expanded over the years and of course the dedicated cruise terminal which is capable of housing at least five of the massive ships; you know, the ones with 3000 plus people, floating towns basically.
Us? We're tucked in at the very back. We only have 720 passengers and are considerably smaller than all the others. 
The ferry port is in the same section and I would say the inter Island ferry which takes in all the logistics is about our size.
Long gone are the days when the QE2 arrived and because she was so big had to drop anchor within the harbour bowl and tender in and out.
We didn't dock until 11am and were the last in. 
I then had a wait until my trip out which I'd missed in many ways....pretty poor and I did tell the Ashores Team. That one they need to sort out.
As I'm writing this I have just watched the Regal Princess slide out and head off to...probably another of the islands (maybe).
This is the major hub now for cruising this part of the coast, so people fly into the airport, get buses to the quay, face the cattle market to collect cabin passes, the welcome pack etc, and then walk along to their ship.
Mm, not or me. When we came back from our quick jaunt around the "highlights" of Santa Cruz I saw a TUI coach disgorging passengers who were looking for their cases, taking them to baggage collection points, finding boarding information, then going through boarding.
Nope, not any more. I like the idea of leaving the house handing your case to your chauffeur and the next time you're aware of it, its is in your cabin.
I'll natter about the trip next, but safe to say, Santa Cruz is not a destination I would concern myself with. 
Bit like Luton really, ok to pass through as long as you were driving somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment