Friday 22 March 2024

A few hours at the Design Museum

Close to Holland Park, off High Street Kensington is the Design museum.
I only recently realised it was there, which, when you consider I've lived in and around London most of my life.....
Unfortunately, the change over of exhibits was occurring on the first floor so we only had the top floor open.
However, it wasn't any less absorbing.
The top floor exhibition looked at objects and tools we are all so used to, we wouldn't think about where they originated, who's idea it was and who were the people demanding it.
Going from the layout of the tube in London, to type faces and different fonts. Then onto furniture, clothing, kitchens and all sorts of consumer items including computers, televisions, cameras.....the works.
Novel. A set of acrylic nails with the oyster card impregnated into the nail.
Without fonts, we wouldn't see information anywhere. Just imagine it.
this chair blew me away. Cardboard!! But extremely strong 'edge board'. Actually, the walls in my maisonette where made of this.
an iconic poster which sums a lot up for me.
Yes, I will go back and explore the new exhibition on the first floor, then stroll through Holland Park up to 
Holland Park Station. 
Well, as long as it's a nice day.


No comments:

Post a Comment