Thursday 14 March 2024

Ålesund part 2

As you can see here, like many coastal towns, much of the development is on the slopes. It's sad the weather was as atrocious as it was because I suspect Ålesund would be a pretty place to explore.
There are many coffee houses around but as you can imagine, few locals are out today, it was just the ubiquitous red jackets of a cruise ship.
I did take a photo for a couple from our ship. With rain dripping off their hoods and a brave smile, they stood with their backs to the railing on the bridge pretending they held one another out of love not necessity.
I noted this from a way off so wandered back.
When I got off the ship I went right, into the town itself. This building was the other way. I back tracked and followed a road to find it.
I love wall art and this was particularly poignant because of the top advert...
A company run by a friend of mine in UK; it's not glazing though, its engineering, electronics and electrical. A tad different.
If the weather had been better I would have continued my wander, but I was now soaked. Even the waterproof jacket was letting in water.
I popped into a tourist shop to buy some fridge magnets (good excuse to use up the last of my krona). As I tipped my head forward to get my money out of my pocket, I cascaded wet off my hood all over her counter.
Embarrassing or what!
Getting back on board was equally tough. By this time we had entered another squall where the rain was blowing horizontally and the winds blew you off your feet.
Those servicing the gangway had to reposition it before we could go up. Not only was it steep but they needed netting around it just in case we were blown off.
Each one of us was pleased to be back on board.
First stop, cabin. Strip off, hang clothes up to dry, climb in a shower, get warm, have a hot drink and write this.
I ain't getting off again, not until we reach Portsmouth our next and final destination. 
Two days sailing. I wonder what the North Sea has lined up for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment