Wednesday 6 March 2024

Bergen, cinnamon buns and coffee

If ever an excuse is needed, today was one with intent. Cinnamon bun and coffee, my turn.
I'd enjoyed early morning sun walking around deck 6 and completed a mile as I happily chatted to myself about the next gardening jobs I had to do.
I'd just heard from Jason and he's coming back at last!!
So many jobs and he's the best there is.
So, sun shining with Shirley and I wrapped up against the cold air (0°C) we disembarked.
We had decided we would visit the old part of Bergen and hunt down a nice coffee shop.
These back alleys are wonderful. Tucked behind each of the doors is a little business or art studio just waiting for you to enter and be amazed. 
To maintain all of the places, skilled carpenters are slowly replacing dead or decaying beams and cladding the original structures in modern wood, so as to preserve them for the next generation. 
Running along the roof lines are pipes. These are part of the water sprinkler system in case of fire. From what the board says, this is one of the biggest threats the old town has to face and has already burned down several times in the past.
If you look closely at the upper RHS you can see the new cladding whilst underneath, all the original wood is still open to see.
Some of the wooden beams holding up the balcony levels are cut from one piece of wood; truck and first bow. As Shirley said, I wonder what story each beam could tell?
Being nosy, I noted an area closed off. I peered in. Inside we could see where they were working; the old beams they'd removed and new wood waiting to go in.
The craftsmanship was clearly in evidence on one section where they had removed dry rot and replaced sections of the correct size and shape.

I failed to photograph the coffee and cinnamon buns, we were to intent upon eating them, they were delicious. 
Shirley managed 2.25kms, which was excellent and further than she expected (I hadn't exactly explained the distance to where the returning shuttle bus was). She was pleased with herself. 
Dont blame her, just hope she's not too stiff tomorrow. 






No comments:

Post a Comment