Sunday 10 March 2024

Alta on a Sunday; closed

Coming into Alta was as lovely as I remembered it, but a great deal less snow.
Before, the mountains were almost uniform in their whiteness but some were completely devoid of any.
The air was warmer too, more like a crisp morning in the UK with a nip in the wind which chilled your cheeks and made your nose numb, but by comparison....
The forecast gave temperatures between 0°C and 3°C. Last time I was here, it was closer to -9°C sinking to -15°C near the Finnish border.
As it was Sunday and the town would be closed, we decided to stay on board. I did my mile walk before breakfast and then Shirley and I did a further half mile after.
Tonight we're off to the Finnish border to hunt for the Aurora but unless the skies are more open over there, we are unlikely to spot them. The cloud cover is too heavy.
Mind you, we have had two nights of sightings from the ship so we shouldn't be greedy.



No comments:

Post a Comment