Monday 6 May 2024

la Rochelle, France

With flags standing to attention and poles bending in the wind, it became clear our daytime viewing was out the window.
I watched as people battled to get back to the ship, the wind beating them back. 
Rain squalls suddenly arrived, soaking the passengers as they battled the horizontal deluge.
On top of that, France now expects passports to return to the ship. We are very much third world these days.
Shirley did well yesterday having negotiated the Guggenheim museum with its slopes and quirks but today she needed to rest.
Me? There's something about cruise ships and close proximity to others. Yet another cold bug is roaming the corridors and of course, it knocked at my door. I do feel out of it so quite glad to give La Rochelle a miss.
I must admit, this was a destination for our school kids to go on holiday; it holds few memories other than those of trepidation. 
Once they can unload the lorries we will be on our way.
We won't reach our next destination (Brest) until the afternoon by which time I'm hoping to have broken the back of this virus. 
We stay there overnight and move onto our last destination of St Malo.
We've had little but bad weather this trip. My only consolation has been that home has been as bad. However, our return looks hot.....I hope my plants in the greenhouse have coped.
the wind was so strong it blew all the metal barriers over. They moved the vehicles out of the compound and replaced the fencing. Their new layout should withstand the onslaught of wind this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment