Saturday 21 December 2019

A water feature and the pigeon

3rd December 
Walking, as you do, I found I'd wandered up to the far side of Puerto Cruz, so, instead of looking in the windows of the souvenir shops, I moved to the other side of the promenade where the sun was shining.
As you turn the bend along there, you come across the entrance to the big water park which has swimming pools arranged in the same layout as the Canaries themselves, and in similar shapes. In one part is a hug fountain which is invariably photographed and used in promotional literature, but I was transfixed by the pigeons.
At the entrance are a series of small pools with grasses growing in the centre. There is a wide, cement lip and a small gap between the plant and this lip.....
.....one lone pigeon was standing in the water enjoying a bath.
I sat down on the ground by this and watched. I never realised just how territorial they could be.
Other pigeons tried to get in but as soon as they did this one chased them off.
It took it's time and when thoroughly wetted, it fluttered out and sat on a wall not far away, preening.
The others scurried in.
No sooner had they begun, than the original bird returned and sent them all packing.
I laughed. 
It may not want it but it wasn't going to share,  just like kids when they go through that, "Its Mine!" stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment