Wednesday 18 December 2019

Out with the lark, travelling all day

27th November 

The alarm may have been set for 05:30, but waking at 02:35 was a tad early even by my standards.
I cannot remember being consciously awake at this time of the morning, 05:45, to witness the feverish activity in Gatwick airport, but so many Easyjet flights were leaving to places such as Copenhagen, Rotterdam and Reykjavik (🥺), it was as if I was watching an organised ant colony on the move to new quarters.
I watched, wistfully, as the people scurried off to catch the flight bound for Reykjavik. It maybe -2°C there at the moment, but my heart did leap when they called the destination. 
Wrong clothes in my case, and already booked for hotter climes, I waited for my flight to be called.
When one eats a ketogenic diet, it's really hard to find food which is not laden with carbohydrates. 
Living where I do, I am spoilt with organic vegetables and fresh, pasture raised chickens, locally caught fish and wild boar. On arriving at a place such as this, I realised just how disparate my eating habits had become. 
I found a crayfish and avocado salad after much hunting. Strange what I end up eating for breakfast, but still.......
I had an Easyjet flight, so knew it would not only leave on time, but it would also be a comfortable flight. Their planes maybe Airbus but they certainly went for the better seats and seating arrangements. 
Much to my delight the only children were way off from where I sat, yay, and being in row 29F, one of the "by the emergency doors" seats, I had ample leg room.
So, four hours and five minutes to Tenerife south, then ninety minutes transfer to Puerto Cruz. 
I have been spoilt recently; arrival wasn't as I imagined it would be. Ok, the weather didn't help going from beautiful blue skies and hot sun in the south, to thick cloud cover and cooler temperatures, but even so, the ships have raised the bar when it comes to luxury and comfort. I immediately missed the sound and smells, the cosy but perfectly appointed cabin and the pleasures of wandering up and down the ship in search of the Coffee Port, the buffet restaurant and the open deck. 
Oh dear, I think I'm converted.
Anyway, the room is nice and the balcony a boon. I knew one of my first jobs would be the little bit of washing,  but first.......foray out to the supermarket,  I need something to eat (it's gone 15:30 so no surprise there, restaurant's closed until 18:30) and I also need some water.
I must admit, I have little or no intention of doing anything with the remainder of the day except relax my back off (hurting like hell) and just chill.
Mm.........where can I go next September? Not back here......🤔

No comments:

Post a Comment