Saturday 21 December 2019

And the rains came tumbling down...

5th December 
The forecast last night heralded a storm was coming and it certainly landed. No thunder, no lightening show, just copious amounts of rain coming in deluges.
Pavements ran with mini rivulets and people sheltered in disbelief it rained here 😂, how else is the Oratava kept green and the rest of the island a desert?
I shook my head and grinned. I am fine, long fully waterproof coat and integrated hood, belongings safely stowed in a waterproof bag and my shoes recently waterproof.
I didn't 'splash in the pavement rivers' however, not foolish enough to tempt fate that far. 
Decided my best course of action after the long walk yesterday (wish I'd remember not to wear flip flops when I do these jaunts 🙄) was decent shoes and a gentle stroll.
Only a couple of miles admittedly but enough to stretch the legs, enjoy the wildness of the sea and stroll back for a lunch of green salad and mackerel. Was very naughty, had a small piece of fresh coffee-cream and almond sprinkles. Really enjoyed it but now am hoping my system does too.
The sea was at it's most tempestuous today, I've not seen it so filled with energy as that,  at least not here. 
Waves were at least twenty to thirty feet tall (~18 to 25m) and crashed against the coastal defenses as if they were no more than small rocks on the beach.
I wondered at the fresh fish restaurant whose table looked over the sea. People had a ring side seat at the tops of the waves where, usually, they fell well beneath eyesight.
Now there is a softening in the weather but the clouds hang heavy over the mountain range. Teide is obscured completely as are the tall peaks on the opposing ridge. But there are glimpses of blue sky and a tantalising glimpse of maybe warmer weather coming.
Aah, the sun has just poked its head out on my balcony....excuse me if I join it.

No comments:

Post a Comment