Tuesday 11 July 2023

A day cruising the Sound

Ripples on the water first thing. The sun cast an amazing light through the fog

Waking to the sound of the fog horn, I was wondering whether we'd see much at all. 
I switched on the TV to find out what the weather held in store and find out what the time was.
After shifting from GMT+1.00 to GMT -2.00, all of us have very messed up body clocks. Not surprising then, I woke at 5am, wide awake and ready to go. I had some tea then turned over and went back to dozing for a bit longer.
So, early breakfast over, back to the room, collect camera bag and then off to the Promenade Deck to set up ready for a long day up the Sound.
Our first sight of a glacier came not long into the journey. One of the largest, we stopped for a while and went as close as we could. Nothing calfed, but small pieces were drifting off along the sound so it was shedding small pieces. 
I have some pictures of a beautiful berg but that's on the big camera so I'll post these after I've worked with them on the computer.
The rock formation was incredible. At some point this was all encased in ice and snow. Now we are looking at the unveiling of an ancient landscape with U-shaped valleys called into the floor.
Mosses grow wherever the ground is stable, near the horizontal and fed with streams from the melting ice above.
I saw a few seals but they were very shy and kept disappearing under the water as soon as I picked up the camera. 
They must have known.
The climate here is, as expected, cold but the air is dry and makes it feel that much warmer than it is. Wisely, I kept the camera inside my coat, saving the battery and keeping the mechanism loose. 
I am looking forward to retrieving the shots when I get back. I do hope I have some good images in there. 
one of the largest glaciers left on the sound.
Most of the ice was calving due to melt water rather than weight pushing behind it. As a result much of what came off was small by comparison with a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment