Tuesday 11 July 2023

Narsarsuaq (2)

I was keen to see what plant and animal life I could see, but first I had to go to deck 6 to collect a tender ticket.
So many tours were going out today, all on small ships so people were congregating in different parts of the ship to go off to the 2WW museum or the Signal Hill hike or the small boat trips to the ice fields in a neighbouring fjord.
I couldn't get a ticket for that one so I settled for a wander and a paddle.
view from the pier, looking back at the ship.

I watched a prop plane take off from the residual 2WW airstrip and listened to a helicopter buzzing around. I'm not sure if that was for pleasure or taxi from one area to another, but out here there are no roads so getting from one place to the other is restricted according to the time of year; sledge in winter, kayak, motorboat in summer.
Below are a series of plants I saw as I travelled along the roadway to the only habitation for the 50 people still living in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment