Tuesday 11 July 2023

Qaqortoq

The fog horn was going all night; sea fog had descended and visibility was very poor indeed.
Our little ducks almost obscured by the sea fog.
It was still going when we arrived and moored in the harbour. If you listened you could hear boats going out but they were invisible in the mirk.
It wasn't until about 9am that the fog burnt back and bright sunshine replaced it. What had started out as a dank and dismal day rapidly gained heat and by 11am I was overheating.
 pick a letter, any letter and make a Scrabble nightmare
It may only have been 12°C but it felt much more.
I had chosen to do the Food Tasting trip so we headed off to try local delicacies at a hotel in town.
 Now don't get ideas of reception desk, stairs to rooms and plush dining room, this is Greenland where houses are converted into guest houses and the ground floor is a place to eat, sit and chat. The furniture is very YMCA style with long wooden benches, multiple chairs and a wooden hatch leading from a small kitchen area. As I said, its basic but the life up here is.
food tasting plate. Really was a delightful mix, I could happily live off all but the whale blubber 
We were presented with a plate of small morsels of various things. Musk ox stands out in my book, it was like the best steak possible. Dried cod was another which although chewy was very tasty. The only thing I really didnt like was whale blubber but give me anything else and ooh, it went down a treat.
Once they started serving the various ales I left. Not interested in beers.
I spent two very happy hours wandering around the town, finding the lake, school, university/college, the supermarket (name is a peach) and various other places all shown below.
running through the middle of Qaqortoq was an outlet for a very large lake set behind. The water wasn't as cold as one would imagine and I had a thoroughly enjoyable paddle with the small fish swimming around me.

The rest of the day?
Sunbathing on the lido deck, swimming the spa pool and nattering with Shirley. What more could a girl possibly want?

No comments:

Post a Comment