Monday 3 July 2023

Ísafjörder

We arrived early and docked by 7.30am. I sat on the balcony in a sundress and soaked up the sun. It's a beautiful crisp spring day here with some snow on the tips of the mountains but lush greenery below.
The ship has distributed the waters and arctic terns are noisily, swooping round collecting for their young. 
Mm, painful if caught out and dive bombed by these highly protective birds. With backswept wings, they plummet into the water, plucking fish from the turbulence. Ships must be a delight to these busy birds.
I've not booked a trip as I've been here numerous times, so I'm off for a walk later.
Shirley is on a trip, leaving at 10.30am and will be away until probably about 1pm, so we've agreed to meet around 2pm. That'll give me plenty of time to explore the hamlet refresh my memory of this place.

How could I forget it, such a pretty place, full of character and history.
My favourite part is still the Old Town.
First things first was a paddle in the fjord so I wandered over to the museum area and stood in the waters there.

Now you tell me, how could I not stand in that? Yes, it was cold but no more than North Sea in winter.
I'll put up more of the shots around the docks when I get home but to say I spent a very happy few hours paddling around the docks and old town is an understatement. 
I did visit the museum there and had a fascinating time in there.
Mm, no doubt I'll be back again but it was nice to see the place and the gradual changes into a tourist destination even if it's more for the rugged adventurers 



No comments:

Post a Comment