Thursday 13 July 2023

Day 3: just off the Outer Hebrides

The closer we get to the UK the colder the weather becomes. 
Winds have got up and the sea is rocking us to sleep again tonight. 
One aspect is pleasing though, the nights are dark. Whilst up in Iceland we enjoyed the continual daylight time and Greenland had extremely short nights which remained like dusk, not dark but not really light.
Today then was mainly indoors, just sitting around chatting, a pastime we seem to do with great skill.
We ventured off to listen to the final speaker who gave us a talk on the origins of the Inuit people. It was very interesting especially when he talked of two groups, one called the Thules and another who were giants and wore wooden masks. I am sure I've heard both being mentioned in one if the Viking legends.
My phone is insistent I am in Greenland and insists on setting the time to Nanortalik. When we reach Scrabater tomorrow I'll see if I can convince it to move on, after all we've covered over a thousand nautical miles since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment