Friday 14 July 2023

Next stop Scrabster, for John O'Groats, Highlands and Thurso

Having seen John O'Groats last time I was up this way and also having done the Highlands tour I took the best option and went exploring by myself.
This shuttle bus took us into Thurso so we could explore as we wished.
Something I really liked were the flower tubs which once would have housed annuals. Now they were growing their own; I really hope people were taking advantage of these, such a good use of street planters.
InTonbridge I can imagine what would happen - children can be so destructive and we have many who see it as a game to throw the plants at each other.
I went into the museum where they had examples of pictish stone carving as well as another room about the nuclear reactor. Both were very interesting.
I did succumb to a superb coffee and fruit scone, it certainly hit the spot. 
Its nippy now and I've just made it back to the ship. We pull off early so as to get to Tilbury early (first people are disembarking at 08:00) and as we have the North sea to negotiate tonight (weather predicts a bumpy one) I think the captain wants to get as far as possible as soon as possible.
Thurso was worth a visit but its not somewhere you could while away an afternoon, there really isnt much there. For me the highlight was the park by the river and watching the swifts sweep the ground for insects.

the Meadow well,  Thurso's original water supply. The mechanism is inside a round building.
Last but not least, something which gave me a smile. I suspect it lights up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment