Wednesday 5 July 2023

Puffin Island

Shirley and I boarded the old fishing boat with a small group of others from the ship.
It looked well past its sell-by date but was sea worthy and strode out through the waves.
It was a fairly warm day but good wind proof coats and hats were needed.
The island where the puffins nested was in the mouth of  the bay so it only took about 30 minutes to get there.
Most of the puffins were in the water swimming about. I think many had fledged their young and had them on the water rather than too close to the gulls who were continually on patrol for any youngsters small enough to eat.
I took my Nikon and took most shots on that. It has a bigger lens and I can get better close ups with it. Although I can see some nice shots, on play back, they will require uploading to the computer for some manipulation. 
Sadly, an old boy slipped and fell cutting his hands and face. He was ok but I bet that'd cause a great deal of paperwork for the guide.
I was very impressed by Saga's response though; one of the nurses from the sick bay was on the quayside waiting for us to arrive back to the jetty and he was taken straight back to the ship under medical supervision.
That wouldn't have happened with other lines that's for certain.
By the time we got back on board the weather had changed and a very cold wind brought dense cloud. It suddenly turned very nippy so we happily went back into the library and hid there for a few hours.
By the time we'd had dinner, both Shirley and I were shattered. 
I was asleep by 10pm.
Unfortunately I was wide awake at 3.35 am!! Sleep patterns so messed up. We've another clock change tonight,  we go back yet another hour. I'm going to be completely out to lunch at this rate.


No comments:

Post a Comment