Monday 23 August 2021

A day at sea, then Ullapool

 The day at sea was lovely, classical music in the Atrium bar during the day (at varying times) from the Excelsior Duo, a talk on Ullapool and Kirkwall followed by the singer song writer, Steve Thiebault (no I'd not heard of him either) in the Atrium at afternoon tea.

In the evening, Wayne Denton was playing in the theatre and I anticipated watching it in my cabin as there was a live feed on the TV if you wanted it.

Sadly though, this is where it went wrong; formal nights and I just don't get on. We ate too late, I ate too late, it all went wrong and my best friend was Imodium on and off for the remainder of the time on board, although it did improve a bit by the time we got back to Tilbury.....typical.

Anyway, the day itself was fine and it wasn't until the following morning at about 03:00 that it kicked in. 

The following morning I went down to the cruise desk and told them I wouldn't be able to take up the West Highlands visit and retired to the South Cape Bar which was closed and very peaceful for the morning. 

I listened to the guests being called to tender and smiled as I looked outside the window. The clouds were almost at sea level, they wouldn't be getting much of a view.

These were the only two photographs I took of the approach to Ullapool. At 06:15 the clouds were scant and those which were there appeared to break as we travelled further up the coast. Sadly, this didn't last and as the day wore on the weather began to close in further. I prayed we would be able to enjoy what there was to see of the Orkney Islands and Shetland.



 


Awaiting clearance to go ashore, the first duckling travels over to test drivers and gain clearance to disembark.The weather was not as it was down south and many were feeling the cold. Jumpers, coats and trousers became the order of the day for the rest of the trip.
The air hung heavy but the area had a sparkle all of its own. The captain noted there were many who had failed to get off the ship and he offered on a first come first served basis, a trip round the bay in one of our ducklings. Still not right I couldn't go, but I would have loved to. Never mind there is always another time and I will come again.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment