Saturday 21 August 2021

A paradise that is part of UK

 

When the sun shines and the beaches glisten, it's hard to believe this is part of the UK. As we landed on Tresco, we had the choice, take an electric glide in Hilda or walk the short walk up to the gardens. I chose to walk there and glide back. I just had to ride the electric bus.


After getting lost in the numerous tree lined, narrow pathways, I finally found the collection of ship's figureheads. They were all standing there looking into a distance they never saw anymore; a heavy feeling of pathos collapsing into reverence seemed to envelop the place.

 

They were all protected from the elements and probably the sun under an open barn. It did make for a really interesting exhibition. At the back of the barn I spotted a door marked Office, more of which could be found around the gardens if you looked carefully in the greenery.

 

 

It appears to be the time of the Agapanthus which were blooming all over Tresco. The soil obviously suited them well as they seemed to be spreading like weeds. I'm lucky if I can get one to flower!

 

Turning a corner and coming out of a densely covered path, I suddenly stepped into sunlight. The palms swayed lightly in the breeze and I felt as though I'd stepped into Tenerife gardens.

 

Plunging back into the winding pathway I came across dappled shade, tropical plants and the awe which this place engenders. As I walked along I found a long and very straight path which led up to the sculpture of the three children belonging to the family who live here still. I suspect they are all grown and have children of their own but the sentiment of being able to run and play on this idyllic island is captured here.

 


 

Turning back into the garden I was determined to find my way out to where the red squirrels had been, but the more I hunted, the more I just vanished into the pathways. In my mind I imagined those three children playing hide and seek, what a great laugh that would be and the chances of being found would be very low.

 

Riding Hilda back to the quay I noticed I still had three quarters of an hour before I was due to return, so I walked back to the beach and indulged in a long and quite deep paddle. With dress hitched up as it would have been in the 50s, I went in up to just above my knees, looking at everything around me. The sand glistened because of the mica shards and it felt like the softest cushion I had ever walked over.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment