Thursday 12 August 2021

I came, I saw, I left

Scrabster, is a tiny fishing port which has expanded over the years to be a small, but influential port dealing in fish, timber and ferries to the Orkney islands.
There's virtually nothing to it but it has a charm of it's own and in non covid times I would have cheerfully hopped off the ship just to explore Scrabster and the little town of Thurso a mile and a quarter away.
 
Sadly, we are only able to go anywhere by coach, so I elected to do the John O'Groats and Duncansby Head trip.
Mm. The journey there was very good and the driver was wonderful in that he took his time and allowed us to look. Our guide was excellent too and I complimented the staff on board when we got back.
John O'Groats was packed even at 10:00 and the screaming of little children really jarred against the rarefied atmosphere of an adult only ship. One child threw a complete tantrum of fear because a dog was some thirty feet away from him, the screams suggested it was time for me to return to the coach.
Too many tourists, too many cars, too many campers. This, it seems is the reality of the Coast 500 road colliding with the school holidays. 
We left and drove round the bay to the actual most northerly point, Duncansby Head and the lighthouse there. (Photos to come later).
The puffins of course had already left and only seagulls remained on the rocky cliffs.
One day! One day I will see puffins in the wild! One day!
So that was it.
We went to the furthest point you can drive from here to Lands End and the most northerly point on mainland Britain.
Now I'm back sitting next to the pool. Its chilly and I'm sitting in jumper, trousers and wearing a vest. It's only one stage off winter.....that's a coat and hat too.


No comments:

Post a Comment