Tuesday 10 August 2021

A slow glide into Ullapool

As per usual, I wake at 05:30 to watch the approach to our destination and I'm not disappointed. 
It's clear, heavy glaciation has reshaped the landscape with soft peaks, deep gouges which fill with sea water and create lochs, the sparse vegetation coats the lower slopes and sheep graze.
Common dolphins play around the ship, gannets are diving into a small school of fish and the ubiquitous shearwaters swim valiantly from our wash with their offspring in tow. It's a beautiful sight.

Sadly, I'm not feeling great today. We eat too late for me and I end up going to bed with a stomach still full of food. Last night some came up to meet me in a bout of full on reflux and I'm still feeling tender. That's the problem with formal nights, they're slow, and overly stuffing. So, I'm staying behind and forgoing my excursion. It was a coach trip so, yes, I could look out the window..........I'll do that in my own vehicle one day.
Meanwhile, I have a cuppa going cold and I'm enjoying the sounds of silence as we approach Ullapool. 
Just by sheer chance I caught this as they rowed past...
All old men together out for a jolly maybe?
On the point is a large camper/caravan park which seems both busy and popular. It's one of the stops on the Coast 500 tour as well as a destination from which to explore. The small hamlet is charming and a place I would have happily jumped off to explore. 
Built on a granite promontory, creating foundations for a house first require a large cango. I watched a man cutting out what looked like a depression for the cesspool as the house area appeared to have been cut already. The whole area echoed with the sounds and reminded me of Thamesmead and the pile-drivers.
The rest of the day and evening passed uneventfully and although I did feel sick I wasn't......just wish the taste would go away.




No comments:

Post a Comment