Monday 5 August 2019

All at sea; from Scotland to Iceland

A day at sea. We have over 600 nautical miles to travel to Iceland. We have already travelled 230 nautical miles, so this is quite something.
Am I excited by this cruise? Yes, I am now I’ve been to Kirkwall.
I had a feeling a day at sea would be tiring and it has proved to be just that.
How anyone could just sit in front of a TV screen 18 hours a day beats me. I was stick on a boat for 24 hours and was almost chewing on the railings!! My diary ran as follows....
Waking to the Atlantic and seeing little with the wind blowing any remaining cobwebs firmly from my head. It’s at moments like this I understand why I brought a beanie, gloves and a scarf. Theres an element of no fool in me.
So, with the mists condensing on my window, I sit in my cabin enjoying a cuppa. I’ve just found the water fountain on this floor so that’s a great boon to me; water issues solved!
Right, tea, then off for a wander.
So, once, twice, three times around the top deck and I kept passing this door.
It was propped open allowing excess heat to leave one presumed. Either that or let fresh air in, but regardless,  it looked yummy. Pipe, ducts and insulation, a delicious combination of dishes awaiting the discerning traveller’s eye. Mm. I was good and stayed outside but it didn’t stop me just gazing in appreciation at the craftsmanship which had gone into its layout.
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.
There was a presentation about the various trips one could choose from and what they entailed and later, a lecture by a guest speaker from the University of Leicester, who gave the first of a series of talks about Iceland and the Atlantic.
He had a good sense of humour  and told some very good location jokes as I would expect from a uni lecturer, but he did insist upon reading the overheads! Aargh. Naughty.
Anyway, went in hunt of something to eat but failed. Its tea time in the Market Place and it’s all wheat based. I was ready for a salad but one failed to materialise so I headed to the Snack Shack and had a portion of chips! Really not good but needed something.
Will eat sensibly later but there’ll be no point until later once the hoards have collected their krill. Sorry, reference a pictorial joke of a puffin with its beak stuffed full of krill ready to feed offspring. Reminded me greatly of people in the eating house.

So, Iceland next, ooh, exciting. I am really intrigued by what my senses experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment