Monday 19 August 2019

VISIBILITY POOR, RAIN, LIGHT BREEZE, Eidefjord

It was a really nice traverse up the fjord with clear skies and excellent visibility.
Bright and early I went for a walk and explored walking route number 2, colour coded blue. I get the impression none of them are very long, maybe a mile or two, but this one was rather cute, taking you from the small boats harbour, up and over the farmland to the old church. I must admit I did wonder where it was taking me but a quick look on Google maps and it started to make sense. Fortunately or I might have ended up further up the mountainside than anticipated! Well at least the gangway stays down until 17:30.
Main road out of Eidefjord

The views were far more spectacular once I was beneath the mountain sides and the sheer scale of erosion became clear.
The farming round here concentrates upon fruit, both soft and hard. I saw apple trees of two types, loganberries, raspberries and something else which I suspected were plums, but they were a but far away so wasn’t able to see them clearly enough.
This farm grew raspberries, apples, black currants

I went into the fiddle making museum and talked with the gentlemen who ran the place. Although he knew the master fiddle maker, he wasn’t allowed to learn from him for some reason, but when the master died, this man  kept the old workshop and all his tools, pattern and formers so we could see how these exquisite things were made.
The man himself was a craftsman and did quite a lot of turning himself. He had the wooden tree for a pack-saddle and under it a band of Viking knot work. The band was the size one would place round a barrel, so large.
Next came the old church which was solid wood, inside and out. There were simple brass chandeliers lighting the inside and the alter appeared to be simple. It appears the locals no longer use this one but have a new and probably warmer one just down in the village. It looked lovely but by the time I’d walked through the cemetery it began raining and then the rain became serious. I was wearing a puffa which although shower proof couldn’t hold out this level of wetness.

Like many others of us who had ventured out early, I headed back to the ship for a well earned warm up and dry out.
I’m sitting in the Market Place enjoying a coffee (which is probably cold by now) and looking out on very poor visibility.
I made the mistake of thinking I'd read a couple of chapters of my book whilst I waited for it to stop raining. Mm, well, it was a good book let's put it that way and the last few chapters gripped my attention to the end.
It was about 4pm before it stopped raining so taking the opportunity to get one last stroll out before cast off, I wandered quickly round the small park and up to their top road. I probably spent about an hour all told and got back to the ship and onboard undercover about 5 minutes before it was raining again.
I couldn't have timed it better if I tried. Now I'm sitting on deck 6 waiting for cast off and then travelling back down the fjord to our next port of call, 
Haugesund.

No comments:

Post a Comment