Tuesday 13 August 2019

My unhealthy generation

If one set of lyrics has stuck in my head from my youth it's The Who, My Generation.
Several reasons, but one of the strongest was the line,
"hope I die before I get old"
Yes, to me, that was the key, to party this life and enjoy every minute because at some point I would start to 'feel old' both physically and (to me more importantly) mentally and when that happened it was time to turn in my chip.
Travelling from Iceland to Norway I am being given ample time to study 'my generation' and I hardly recognise them.
Once upon a time, long, long ago, there was a generation of rebellious teenagers who burst onto the world, pushing aside the flower power pacemakers. We were out to change the world and stomp on everything that went before.
We were rebelling against the constraints imposed by a near Victorian society where holding hands or kissing in public was met with disapproval.
We were rebelling against a world that saw a difference in black and white, subjugating one beneath the other.
We we rebelling against a society where women were objects to be handled like ripening fruit in a supermarket. Where we were expected to marry, have children and stop our childish ambitions to concentrate on our true profession,  being a wife and mother.
Work was to be left to the men folk, who brought in the money to 'keep' their family.
NO! This was our generation and we were going to bring in new order.
And, many would say, we did. We marched for equal rights, rioted for union rights, had running street battles with racists.....
This was our generation.
Rebelling in our attitudes and dress, we brought in a new level of equality, of egalitarianism and liberalism which allowed the individual to be an equal human being, not ranked by class, colour, sex or creed.
And now?
The cock sure way we approached society and created change, has transcended into our eating habits, our exercise habits, our lifestyles and what have we been reduced to?
Mobility scooters, walking frames, shortness of breath, diabetes, heart disease, obesity.........worst of all in my mind, a reversion into our mothers! Heaven help us.
Narrow minded, bigoted, racist (?), an inflexibility towards change. The very things we fought so hard to eradicate we appear to be creating.
We cannot or will not accept the new generation making changes in the way we did. In fighting for equal pay (good luck), acceptance of transgenders, lady boys, gay marriage,  fair wage and all the social issues we failed to grapple.
No, as the song so rightly said,
"hope I die before I get old"

No comments:

Post a Comment