Sunday 18 August 2019

Slowly, I find the pictures......

The problem with taking a camera and a phone in this day and age is I end up relying on the phone quite a lot and forget to utilise the effects my camera can create. So, when I found all the photos and put them on the hard drive I was shocked to see I had taken well in excess of 400. I think that tells me I must have enjoyed the cruise even if I felt crap for a few of the days.

OK, so what's here? Just a few to flutter up and bring back memories. I tend to be a walker so the sights I see are probably quite close to the hotel or ship. But that doesn't make them any the less interesting, to me, anyway. Very often they are views missed by those too quick to go on trips and not to look around at what is there.

Whilst out walking in Akureyri itself I came across these two. Standing about 7 to 8 feet tall, they stood outside a tourist type shop that also doubled as a cafe from what I remember.
Very much how my friends and I feel on one of our bad days.







This one is a poster inside the bookshop in  small place called Flateyri. During the winter when the snows come down and the temperatures drop, most people either read or write books. Talking with the person who ran the bookstore, he told me that after about September people are in and out buying Christmas presents of the latest books. Let's face it, there isn't much to do except make babies and read during those dark days....and yes, many babies are born in the Spring.














One of the trips I did do whilst in Iceland was to visit the renouned Godafoss Falls. We were very lucky with the weather as it started to close in after we left and the stormforce winds began. The waters are that colour because there had been rain and ice melt up in the mountains.


As you can see here, although there was a well defined and edged viewing platform, it was easy to get round the edge of it and stand as close to the falls as you liked. I didn't like to go any further forward and if anyone had fallen in, then they would have been on their own! I was not going to do the swimmers jump and heroic capture.
One thing I would have loved to do was go on a boat towards the falls, like you can do at Niagra. If that had been possible yes we would have been soaked but exhillarated.
















I cannot remember where we were, but I can see it clearly in my mind. So clearly in fact I can picture in my mind where I went for a paddle. And before you ask, no, it wasn't that cold at all. Bit like the North Sea to be honest. Anyway, I just loved the view. I was standing at the waterline in what was probably an older part of the port itself. Hang on let me think, we should have tendered here but he managed to dock, all be it at a gentle list....Isafjord!








Mm, had to include this; a view of my cabin. I was on deck 4, the lowest of the peopled decks as it were, beneath was the engine bay, various workshops and loads more. Pretty much directly under me was the gangway on and off.
Evrything was great until we hit a  little turbulence and then something beneath us started to clang like a bell. The vibration through my bed was quite something and ear plugs were a must. It wasn't only me who was driven mad by this, I think everyone on my side of the ship on deck 4, 5 and possibly 6 would have suffered. Can you imagine what it was like when we hit gale-force winds and high seas? Yes, interesting.

Would I go again? Watch me! I got off the train back in my home town and walked straight into the travel agents. Oh, yes, I'm off again!! And soon, but that would be telling..

No comments:

Post a Comment