Monday 5 August 2019

BALMY WARMTH PERVADES THE AIR, AKUREYRI

When I saw this I did indeed sob, and growl, and want to cuddle it.
So, we went up into the arctic circle during the late evening and stayed up there until 3am.
I was asleep. So dog tired and chilled. This cabin is lovely but the temperature never seems to be altered by the thermostat. Will ask for blankets today.
Anyway, after putting my coat over the bed at about 3.30am, I slept that much better. I think it was not long after that we entered the fjord as the motion of the ship went from, travelling the gale force winds to dead calm.
We docked at about 8.00am and I was ready to disembark as soon as we were given the all clear from customs. Although I had my passport with me it wasn’t  checked or anything so we got our cards swiped and then I went walking.
I really, really do have a problem with pickups!

I saw one and sobbed. It represent everything I could ever ask for in a vehicle and as I walked round it, I just sobbed, wanting to stroke it.
If I could have any vehicle, this would be it! ❤ what more can I say.
I just salute these vehicles with a mixture of sadness and desire. In my heart I hold them with passion.

So, anyway back to the town itself. Yes, it’s an excellent arrivals point for the north of Iceland. There are ferries and an airport. Loads of guest houses and I suspect, vehicles of all types for hire.
I saw buses travelling back and fore and got the impression they were reliable if you wanted to get around by public transport.
I went into the church here and was impressed by the glass work used in the windows. It felt new and I expect it isn’t that old, maybe 50 or 60 years old? I don’t know but it appears to be built in the same or similar style to the big one in Reykjavik. I wandered through a small housing complex on the edge of the fjord and had a nose through windows into new builds. They’ll be well fitted that’s for sure and interestingly, similar to those in Kirkwall except these have smaller windows and appear to be wooden clad.
I wandered back towards the ship via the fjord and was really surprised at the warmth of the water. I expected cold but failed to get much more than Kirkwall.
So, on ship once more having had lunch and waiting to go on the first trip. A three hour trip to see some of the famous places then back to weigh anchor at about 4pm. Hope everyone gets back more promptly than Kirkwall.

The trip to the falls was interesting and I’m glad I’ve seen them. For some reason I would say I was somewhat underwhelmed but that’s probably because we were above them and to appreciate the falls better we would have had to have had a lower perspective. Never mind, I’ve seen them and am now happily back on the coach ahead of time. No surprise there.
The botanical gardens were really interesting however. It was so odd to see what I’d love my garden to look like but only a matter position. Here, it’s only about hundred odd miles from the Arctic circle!
Err, yes, so there’s  really no excuse is there.

Oh god, I’m in love 朗 pick up trucks with flared wheel arches and balloon tyres, grrrrrr. And some had 7 litre engines! Come On! Behave! 朗殺


This is one of the 4 x 4 vehicles and how dare they! Fancy driving that to Sainsbury. Ooh, it’s just too much and tells me I know exactly  what I want to enjoy next time ❤
I watched as OAP after OAP got out and ......... mm, I wasn’t one of them.
So, back on deck 11 waiting for dinner to begin. I am very hungry indeed and really wish to eat asap.
Not long to go, not long to go.




No comments:

Post a Comment