Monday 5 August 2019

HOT AND SUNNY WITH A MODERATE BREEZE, ISAFJORD

First stop was a tour to the fjords local to here and the oldest botanical garden on the island. Yes, I fell in love with this part of Iceland as we travelled up the fjord. It has a raw beauty which is beyond my expectations and touched my soul.
Yes, I could live here.

The journey began by passing through the mountain along a single lane tunnel with passing places. About 6 km long it was quite a ride, but the coming out the other side was simply breath-taking.
Opening out to a vista of wide fjord and distant houses, the whole image reminded me of a picture postcard, airbrushed to give it that awe. The difference here was, no air brushing could improve upon the magical qualities.
As we passed the fjord the seabirds took to the air screeching and crying out their frustrations at being disturbed.
Our first stop was the oldest bookshop on the island. It had its ledgers going back to its opening and all of them were opened, lining the wall on our left. Photographs taken by the present owner filled the vacant walls and books littered all the available spaces.

Wintertime is reading time, and Icelandic people are voracious in their appetite for books.
New ones get snapped up, whilst old one disappear as fast as the arrive. Books are coveted commodities here.
The stories of trolls abound and all children are warned of the 13 trolls who come visiting before Christmas to cause mischief. If they’ve been bad they get a potato in their stocking to remind them to behave. 

From there we went to the local café and enjoyed a delicious coffee and snack. Sadly, based around rye/wheat bread mix, it was not for my digestion but I did enjoy the coffee.
Last stop in this pretty place was the Lutheran church for three songs from a sixteen year old lad who brimmed confidence and skill. Very impressive singing and playing of both the piano an guitar. A talented young man.
It was after that we drove onto the garden, created by a priest and his wife. They showed it was possible to grow vegetables in the local soil, it just required care.
Now a part of the education system, the gardens are maintained by pupils and locals and has become quite a tourist destination.
The trip may only have been three and a bit hours but we saw and enjoyed a great deal in that time. I was glad to get back however and after a quick lunch, took off for a stroll around a bit of the town.
I’ll be back come September so I know where I want to head off and just walk. There are birds to view and bits of fjord to sit on.
I did paddle! It wasn’t that cold either which surprised me.  About the same as off Hastings beach, I stood and surveyed the black sands between the pebbles.

With arctic terms circling overhead and gulls showl diving just off the shore, I could have been in an Attenborough programme.
I wandered back to the ship and allowed my aches to collapse.
I went and had something to eat and the came up to the sun deck.
It’s nearly half five and the sun is still pretty high in the sky.
A truly wonderful day.
The capital, Reykjavik tomorrow and one more short trip before two days at sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment