Monday 5 August 2019

That first day; getting there (26 July)

Happy days. It's the day after an extremely hot spell and rails were heavily effected; buckling, twisting etc. I approached Kings Cross with a large amount of hope and even more optimism. I was in luck, the trains were running but rather full.
I squeezed onto the train to Newcastle and spent the majority sitting amongst the luggage in the luggage rack. Yes, there was room to squeeze in if I was ok about sharing my ride with the floor, four large cases on wheels and an awful lot of feet.
No idea what the scenery was like, only saw clouds and bits of tree top but at least I was seated, be it ever so humble.
Quite comfortable with my back against the cases

I did set a trend. I think the younger ones were a bit more socially conscious than I am and politely stood. I just looked at them and loudly commented that if they intended standing for 4 hours more fool them, but the floor was comfortable and the best they had.
Eventually they slipped to the floor. I couldn't resist it, "better?" I said. They nodded like good children, "yes, thank you," they replied. God, like children in school!
Sleeping over at Sleepez then back to rail station to pick up the bus to the port.

No comments:

Post a Comment