Tuesday 28 November 2023

A docking furthest away

The dawn rose over the starboard bow, well, until the captain did a spin on the handbrake to reverse into position.
I caught this just before it disappeared behind the bridge.
I remember docking this far out on the Marella ship, Majesty, but the surrounding area was very different then.
I remember getting off next to a large container ship and walking under one of the large cranes. 
Instead of paying 6€ for a shuttle bus ride, I walked. It was just over 3 km and part of it was over rough terrain.
Now, that rough terrain has been replaced by roads, storage depots and service yards. The dock area has grown tremendously and looking out even now, I can see land reclamation for a new pier.
The entrance to the port has been tidied up further since I was here last year and shops and bars are moving ever closer. The marina and downtown area are becoming the new hub.
As the shuttle bus service with Saga is free I climbed aboard, after all, I could use that 3km more pleasantly in Arrecife itself.
Manrique influence is everywhere, even in the planting around the old fishing harbour.
Walking past the cafés and bars you're forever reminded of the debt owed to the sea. The boats here go out most evenings to catch by torchlight. Fresh fish is then sold the next morning.
At first glance, this photo appears to be nothing until you highlight it and realise a whole sea 'monster' sits with pigeons climbing in and out of the eye sockets. 
Yes, it's real. It was dug up locally when they were building something.
Obviously no longer sea worthy, the locals recycle their row boats.
The High Street gearing up for Christmas..... well the 12th day, the one they hold sacred. 
Managed to get some decent aloe gel and sunblock, replace my earrings which are in the sand on La Gomera somewhere and a packet of peanuts! How I've missed them!!
Popped into the first ever church on the island. Think it said it was built in the 1400s. Nice, simple altar. None of the pomp and ceremony of yesterday's one.
Spotted along some hidden back street (you know I love those) a painting which caught my eye..





 

No comments:

Post a Comment