Friday 24 November 2023

Sun, white sands and gentle waves

Feeling improved, I took the shuttle into the centre of Mindelo and had a wander.
The artifacts express the horrendous history of this place, in fact all of the islands really.
Slavery.
What a perfect place to bring 'seasoned' slaves for sale for the rest of the slave trading world.
It does make me feel ashamed of my ancestors. Let's face it, few wouldn't have been involved somehow. 
The streets here are very Portuguese reflecting their colonial history, but this island is far wealthier than the previous one we stopped at.
Tourism is taking off and with beaches like the one I played upon today, it's no wonder this is now becoming a second mecca after Sal.
We cruised past many yatchs on their way down here. The bay is already filling up, so there is money to be made from the winter migration.
One thing did make me grin as I walked past and that were the triangular buildings in the marina entrance. Reminiscent of the sauna and cold fjord dipping favoured in northern Norway, I suspect these too house saunas, showers et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment