Friday 17 November 2023

An afternoon in Funchal

It was certainly hot here!
 The weather app was recording 26°C but if anyone said higher I would concur.
I was in the pool by the time we berthed at the town pier. 
Funchal still looked the same just more of it and probably spread further up the hills.
Looking starboard, we had nestled in by two other cruise ships, one a German Tui ship and the other, I suspect by the name, Spanish.
The Costa Firenze looked to be about the same size as ours but with a yellow funnel and a large letter 'C' emblazoned on the side, it made no impression on me.
The Tui ship I've encountered before. More a mobile town than a ship I counted 7 normal ducks and 2 extra large ones on their port side. I can but presume it's the same in the other. When you consider we have 8 ducks in total, theirs is a considerably larger ship.
Behind all that iron work was yet another ship, a ferry from the Porto Santo line. Nice way to travel over to the island if you don't fancy the flight.
Once the weather cooled a fraction I wandered off along the seafront and then up into the old part of the town that lies around the cathedral. 
I've always enjoyed this part of town and with the market in full swing it was a joy to wander along. Christmas time has arrived and tree ornaments abounded.
Wandering around the stalls and popping into stores it was nice to browse but with no aim in mind. 
People were gathering to enjoy a beer, a pizza or chat over a much needed coffee. The place hummed with life and activity, everyone wrapped up in their little piece of reality.
Slowly I wandered back knowing a lovely cup of tea awaited my hand in the cabin and I could wait to see which of these other ships left tonight.
To be honest, I might even go for another swim. The water is lovely and now the clouds have rolled down from the mountains it is a good degree cooler. 







No comments:

Post a Comment