Wednesday 2 March 2022

Alesund and its neighbours

I wish you could see this, snow topped mountains surrounding and exceptionally deep fjord and Alesund, nestled in the foothills. The sun has come out and there's heat in it.
I am sitting on my balcony with a cup of tea looking out over the fjord with the sun pouring down.
I am just back from a fabulous trip out to the islands of Giske and Godøy through amazing landscapes, granite rocks and the rough North Sea.
The connection between the Orkneys and the Shetlands is strong, so much so the main tidal run misplaced bouys and other fishing debris from the fishermen off our coast to theirs. 
We also share history too and on one of the islands we stopped to look at the oldest church in Norway where the links through their royalty and ours is clearly laid out in a family tree, starting on that island.
Like Iceland, many of their roads are single track with passing places or so twisty one can't pull over to 'have a look' which is a shame as in the hills there are bunkers built by the Germans in WW2 which were spectacular. 
We went through three tunnels, under the sea to get to the islands. It seems the granite was so forgiving in construction they were only meant to dig two tunnels but had enough cash over to build a third. This one is single track with a footpath so children can walk to school.
Amazing.
There are passing places and one direction holds right of way, just the same as Iceland, but to have travelled through them ... it was a real experience. 
We stopped off at a lighthouse which, ironically is one I painted in my art classes. Thank you Google for that introduction. 
I was saddened I couldn't climb to the top but this ankle ... need I say more? Oh, I will be so pleased when it finally settles down ... really itchy today, sic.
Ok, if I'm lucky I might get some lunch. I'll come back here for cast-off as we leave early.
I do hope it's less of a stressful night tonight. That reminds me, where are the sea sick tablets?

No comments:

Post a Comment