Tuesday 29 March 2022

Rest, relaxation and much time spent in the library

 Two days at sea and a bit of a relief really. I can go and hide in the library when I want to, go onto deck 6 for a break and a sit in the cafe there or I can go to the promenade deck and take a stroll round the ship [wind and weather permitting]. We are beginning to experience seas not forecasted and it's lowing our transit by several knots. 

I venture outside having forced the door against the power of the wind. I just got through the door when it slammed shut behind me and I went a distance down the deck grabbing the rail as the wind buffeted me. I managed one side before I went back in, my ankle and I weren't ready for balancing and this required ingenuity, fine motor control and a high degree of luck; I felt as though I had none of the above, safer and calmer inside. I forced a door open and quickly went back inside; I decided walking the corridors would be safer, walking down the stairs to B deck  I began the loops, looking at the art work as I went. Certainly is a lot more stable down here when compared with A deck.

It's no good, the Library called me back, so wandering in I went as far as that bookcase sticking out the left and turn to my left to the coffee station and cookie jars... it would be rude to resist now wouldn't it?

 


The nicest ones as far as I'm concerned are the gluten free ones as they aren't as sweet but the diabetic ones were good too, and yes, before you wonder, I sampled all of them and decided the standard ones, although lovely, chocolatey and big, they gave me a headache whereas the others didn't.

Had the necessary coffee and cookie hit then, ooh, 10:45, time to head to deck 5 for a talk on morganite.


I was the only one there so we had a great chat about the stone, cutting and the best way to get the full body of fire in it. I did a quiz which asked me to identify three different gemstones from their cut form. I did it, and discovered afterwards I was the only person on the ship to get all three right. I would have won a prize if I had gone back at the time but missed out. Never mind, it was just nice to know I hadn't lost my touch.

By the time we parted it was almost lunchtime and there was, what was billed as, A Viking Feast in The Grill so off I went and was greeted with a rousing shout...


Lift doors opened and this lot lunged at you screaming and shouting, it was quite something and certainly a laugh and a half. The food was great too and yes it was a feast of fish, meats, roasted vegetables and all sorts. I had pasta just to be, well, didn't fancy anything too heavy and pasta just hit the spot, linguini and seafood caught and bought in Alta, delightful.

By 2:00pm I was in the theatre ready for a talk on the stars and constellations and how these featured in the Nordic history. He related it to the Greek and Roman interpretations; fascinating. By the time that finished it was already 3:20pm so I stayed put and waited for a talk on editing photos from the northern lights experience. 

It must have been gone 4:15pm by the time we came out of the theatre and as it was a formal night [yuk] I had two hours of slobbing around before the posh frocks started to come out and the Captain gathered his select few for the high table on deck 5. 

I really dislike formal nights so had already decided tonight would be a meal ordered through room service, a film and the Japanese NHK channel. I would then flick over to the Playhouse Theatre channel at 7:45pm and watch tonights performance called, Twisted Circus which sounded interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment